Pages

11.04.2011

Hello Old Friend (I Should Have Never Left)




I started this blog almost a year and a half ago, hoping that it would keep me in check with my finances and bank account. Somehow that hasn't happened the way I intended it to (I have a sneaking suspicion it was entirely my fault due to the lack of blogging and self-awareness--okay, I admit it was COMPLETELY my fault).

I find myself with the same (bad) spending habits and the same pitiful looking bank account.

After a trip to Target today where I came away $40 poorer and 3-items richer, I felt half-successful with my recent shopping trip. A few more stops and some slightly frugal spending later, I went to my bank to deposit some monies and checks. This is when the wake-up call happened. I won't tell you the numbers that followed the minus sign on the receipt, but it was enough to realize something, SOMETHING, has got to give.

Aside from my adventures at Target, there's really only one other way I tend to blow my money.

I'm almost embarrassed to share with you what I spend it on.

Clothes?
Shoes?
Broadway shows?
Devine decor?

I wish.

I blow my money on food.

Food, I say!!!

Food, and sometimes coffee, but mainly food.

'Fine Dining?' you wonder.

More like Chick-Fil-A and terrible take-out.

Oh, the horrors!!

So basically I'm telling you I'm broke due to a love of chicken sandwiches and the familiar feel of a styrofoam container with chinese noodles oozing out, sitting in my lap. I'm sure your next thought runs along the lines of 'What a loser!' I'm there with you. I AM a loser, I completely admit it. I'm losing my future (and present) financial security due to an unhealthy obsession with drive-thru lines. It's a painful truth I'm coming to terms with.

Would now be a good time to throw in that I happen to be single? Now I should really hang my head in disgust. Don't worry...I am. I don't think it could go much lower.

So here I am. In all my financial turmoil and despair, with the smell of Chick-Fil-A Polynesian sauce wafting through the air. I'm ready to lay it all out there. I only thought I was ready before, but a new low has proven that I NEED this. I need reform. I've been bailed out too many times and this time I have to bail myself out. It's going to be sticky and messy and horrific before it gets better. And I can't do it alone. So I need you, and all of your non-judgmental capabilities, to virtually hold my hand, help me dust the dirt off my shoulder, and lift me back up to a life that embraces financial peace and discipline. A life I can be proud to blog about.

Are you willing to help me? Can you do that for little old me? I know somewhere deep inside you probably have your own form of a target addict. We all do. Target may not be your kryptonite, but there's bound to be something that is, and if it's half as powerful as mine is you might learn something from this blog as well.

Here we go!

1 comment:

Amelia said...

you're not a loser.

real talk.

i'm proud of you.

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio